You got a Raspberry PI at home, but you don´t know what to do with it? With some very simple steps, you can turn it into a Gitlab Runner:
Install Gitlab Runner
curl -L https://packages.gitlab.com/install/repositories/runner/gitlab-runner/script.deb.sh | sudo bash sudo apt-get install gitlab-runner
Get Gitlab Runner Token
- Open your project on gitlab.com.
- Go to Settings > CI/CD > Runners.
- Search for “Set up a specific Runner manually”.
- Copy the Registration Token.
Start Runner on your Raspberry Pi
The only thing you need to change is “YOUR-TOKEN”, that would be the Registration Token you just copied:
sudo gitlab-runner register -n \ --url https://gitlab.com/ \ --registration-token YOUR-TOKEN \ --executor docker \ --description "Fancy Runner" \ --docker-image "docker:stable" \ --docker-privileged
See it in action
You should now see the Runner right where you copied the Registration Token:
When you start a new pipeline build, your new Runner will pick it up:
Keep your Gitlab Runner up to date
Once in a while, you may want to update your Runner, which is pretty easy:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gitlab-runner
- Gitlab Runner commands
- The Runner will work even after rebooting your Raspberry Pi.
- Use “docker stats” to see the Runner stats while he is busy.
- The Runner is locked to a specific project by default, but you can change the settings directly on Gitlab and enable it for other Projects too.
- The enabled Runner will be used first, Shared Runners will only join if there is more than one job in parallel. You can also disable Shared Runners though.
- I suggest using a Raspberry Pi 3 (or newer).
- It will be a lot slower than Gitlabs free Shared Runners (with 2000 free build minutes). The same scenario took 10min on a Raspberry Pi 3 instead of 2-3min (Shared Runner). But it´s still fun to have your own Runner on a Raspberry Pi!
- If you need a more powerful Runner (maybe with several concurrent builds and stuff), you can use the exact same commands to install it on any Debian/Ubuntu/Mint machine!
- You may need to increase the Swapfile if you get any errors.